Resolving your complaint

Sometimes things do not go quite the way we expected.  Sometimes a decision or a matter just needs to be explained further, other times it needs to be looked at again.

Before lodging a complaint, we encourage you to discuss your concern with us over the phone or in person (by requesting a meeting).  Where possible, we will take appropriate steps to resolve your concern informally.  If your concern cannot be resolved or you are unhappy about the outcome, you may wish to lodge a complaint.

Your complaint will be managed in accordance with our complaint management policy.

The complaint procedure aims to:

  • be timely
  • be fair
  • be objective
  • keep you informed of your complaint’s progress on a regular basis
  • be easy to use
  • be confidential
  • respect your privacy

Complaints may be lodged anonymously and are treated like any other complaint. If you lodge an anonymous complaint, we will be unable to provide feedback about it. Our investigation of your complaint may be limited by the information you have provided.

Every suggestion or complaint is an opportunity for improvement.  Your input will help us to improve our performance and contribute to our quality assurance process. We monitor and review complaints and their outcomes for these purposes.

What can I complain about?

You may complain about a range of issues, including:

  • the conduct of our staff
  • an administrative decision
  • our policies and how they are applied
  • a breach of privacy

Can you give me legal advice or intervene in legal matters?

No.  We cannot provide legal advice or intervene in legal matters.  For information about obtaining legal advice or other assistance click here.

Your privacy during the complaint management process

Any personal information you provide during the complaint management process is collected for the purposes of identifying and dealing with your complaint. Your personal information will not be provided to any person you are complaining about, unless it is specifically required to ensure that your complaint is dealt with appropriately. Any use of your personal information will be limited to that necessary to investigate and respond to the issues raised in your complaint.

How can I help you to resolve my complaint?

We encourage you to play an active part in the resolution of your complaint by:

  • outlining your complaint as clearly and accurately as possible, by including:
    • your name, postal address, email address and telephone number (unless you wish to make an anonymous complaint)
    • who was involved
    • what occurred
    • when it happened
    • why you consider that the matter complained about is unfair, unreasonable or wrong
  • providing copies of any supporting documentation that may help us resolve your complaint
  • outlining any outcome you are seeking
  • treating our staff with courtesy and respect.

How do I lodge a complaint?

We encourage the lodgement of complaints in writing.  Go to our contact us section for our postal, facsimile or email address details.  Your complaint should be addressed to the Director of the Commission.

If you are unable to lodge your complaint in writing, our staff will take reasonable steps to help you by making a written record of the complaint.

What happens once I lodge my complaint?

Your complaint will be referred to a complaint officer who will action your complaint and contact you with an outcome and options for review if you are not satisfied with the outcome. The complaint officer will contact you to acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five working days, and may contact you during the complaint management process to discuss your complaint or ask for more information.

How long will it take to resolve my complaint?

Standard complaints will be resolved within 30 working days (the exact period of time will be confirmed once your complaint is lodged).  However, complex complaints may take longer to resolve. In these cases, our policy generally allows up to 70 working days to resolve your complaint.  When this occurs you will receive regular progress reports until the investigation is complete.

What if I change my mind?

You can withdraw your complaint at anytime and we will cease the investigation.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my complaint?

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint was resolved, you can request the Director of the Commission to have your complaint internally reviewed. If you are not happy with the outcome of the review, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman on the contact details below.

Queensland Ombudsman


Level 17
53 Albert Street
Brisbane QLD 4000

Postal address:

GPO Box 3314
Brisbane QLD 4001

Phone: 07 3005 7000 or 1800 068 908
Fax: 07 3005 7067